Thursday, September 27, 2007

Keyword Research - A Tool You Never Thought Of

Share

Look at the trend these days...
google_trend_1.jpg


No matter whether you are online marketing veteran or a raw rookie you’ve done your share of keyword research.

Odds are you think you’ve probably seen everything under the sun by now. Maybe you have, but maybe you haven’t thought of this…

Wednesdays are special days for me. It’s the one day a week where i spend between two to four hours answering business coaching client’s question live on the phone. We usually get a few hundred callers with about 30 to 40 questions.

There’s a lot of great tactics shared in those calls, and it’s an easy way to make sure clients who are confused, challenged or especially motivated are only a phone call away from getting me to focus on their business and their action steps.

On today’s call we got on the topic of offers, and how to tap into what the market was craving. I listed many of the methods I use to determine what’s on the market’s mind, and everyone could see the logic in what I shared, except…

Using Google Trends

What I found fascinating is I took for granted that everyone understood the power of this tool. Apparently not.

It should be no big secret that I’ll be releasing The Attention Age Doctrine Part 2 in a matter of weeks now. One of the areas where I’ll be sharing some incredibly killer tactics is in the social marketing realm. So I decided to share two screenshots that highlight just one of the uses of Google Trends.

Above and below are graphs of the overall search volume (top) and the news reference volume (below) for the three keywords: (1) social bookmarking, (2) social networking, and (3) blogging. NOW...look closer....
google_trend_2.jpg
If you’ve noticed that the trend on the red line (social networking) is really gaining momentum then you did.

This has profound implications if you think about it…


It means if you’re thinking about creating a product in an area that’s hot and growing hotter social networking is your baby.


or…


It means if you are going to an SEO program to sell your web 2.0
course it would be wise to work on social networking and it’s long tail
offspring.



or…


It means a great upsell, bonus, or follow up offer on an internet marketing product would be social networking.


I could go on and on, and if it wasn’t late and I wasn’t tired I
probably would. But then again I’ve recently been accused of being a
little too wordy, so I’ll keep the rest of my examples to myself, and
press on.


If you’ve never used Google Trends you can check it out here


Then tell us what you think.


If you’ve used Google Trends before and got information that helped
you in your business, please share with us how it helped you.





Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: